Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Back to Basics


Hi there, lovers.
It's been a crazy month in the fandom, no? We've witnessed some solid and not-so-solid) fics come to and end and be pulled. We've seen kitties bear their claws and attack the imaginary personas that have been created on the interwebs. We've also seen all-out attacks on authors and readers. Did our jaws drop at the nerve? Yes. Did we guiltily giggle? Yes. Did we jump on the bandwagon? A little.
Well, _mama is here to pour a little sap on things.
You see, while all of this craziness was (is) going on in the fandom, my real life has been upside down and inside out (no, I didn't show the party people what it's all about, but I digress). I won't go into the details, but suffice it to say that it ain't been pretty. And you know what? I'd be willing to bet that your RL hasn't been all sunshine and roses either. But anyway...
Last night, I was going back through my massive To-be-Read list and clicked the link for Osa Bella by Myg. It was 9:30, I'd just gotten home, hadn't seen my now-sleeping children all day, and was on the verge of a panic attack. The idea of escaping for a chapter or two seemed ideal.
Escape I did. This beautiful story (I'll be rec'ing on the next podcast) took my mind off the stress that has clouded my brain and infiltrated my chest - constantly pounding and squeezing - trying to get out through tears or screams. I was calm. My mind wasn't racing. My stomach wasn't in knots. It was fucking awesome.
Lovers, have we forgotten why we got into this fandom to begin with? Have we forgotten what it's all supposed to be about?
We are all from very different walks of life, bound together by the internet and our love for fictional characters that we've related to in some way, shape, or form. Perhaps you see yourself as a Bella, desperately searching for love and acceptance. Maybe you're an Alice, always looking out for others and trying to spread hope to those around you. Or maybe you're one of the Rosalies, disenchanted with the world, yet fiercely driven to protect those closest to you. No matter who you identify with - you're beautiful just the way you are.
The authors who bring us these stories do so out of the kindness of their hearts. They take time away from their jobs, their friends, their families, and sit down with us to weave dreams that take us away from the bitterness of our realities. They share their world to distract us from our own.
Does every self-proclaimed author have what it takes to become a true published author? Well, does every bird have what it takes to become an eagle? No. But they all fly, nonetheless.
The point of all my musing is this: let's step back and appreciate each other rather than tearing each other down. Let's remember the sacrifice involved in bearing your soul to the world through words.
As LolaShoes' Blissward would say - let's have a love day.

Hugs, Kisses, and Bewbie gropes to all,
Poochi_mama

3 comments:

  1. I just teared up! That was beautifully written bb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well... shit. I'm only on the fringes of this fandom to be a raging bitch.

    What to do with all my free time now... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. *Sigh* I knew I loved you for a reason...

    ReplyDelete