Saturday, June 26, 2010

Fic Rec Friday, well Saturday

Ok, ok.  I know it's Saturday, and I know I missed posting on Friday.  But I had a very good reason.   Apparently setting up the Twitterfeed for the Fandom Gives Back Auctions took a LOT longer than I'd thought, but it was fun and for a good cause.  I digress.

Today's rec is actually a one-shot, actually only about 1,500 words.   Yeah, yeah, I know, all of you read these EPIC multi-chapter fics that seem to go on FOREVER, just like Edward/Jasper/Carlisle/Alice (or whoever you're shipping these days).  But I must say that I really like one-shots, especially if they're short, sweet, and to the point.  Many of them are hilarious, and well written.  And today's rec is both of those things.

I bet a lot of you know StotheP from Twitter.  I know that I had no idea that she was a writer until poochi_mama tweeted me the link to one of her stories the other day.  The one-shot is titled Unchanged.  In it, StotheP takes a look at what life would be like from Edward's point of view if Bella was never changed to a vampire. 

The sheer fact that the summary begs you to pretend she didn't write this and that  it begins with an apology from the author made me want to read it that much more.  A perpetually seventeen year old Edward, tends to all of his elderly wife's needs and wants.  There's even a lemon involved!

Sometimes I think that people just throw away one-shots, not bothering to edit or have them beta'd.  As a result,  I often get distracted by poor use of grammar and bad dialogue, but this has none of those problems that keep you from enjoying the story.  It's a short, easy, funny read and definitely worth the five minutes of your time that it would take to read through it. 

And while you're at it check some of StotheP's other work, including her plea to spade and nuter your pets, Incision.  Besides, anyone who argues with themself in their profile must either be crazy or a genius.  Maybe a little of both. 


Link to author's profile:  http://www.fanfiction.net/~Stothep

Link

2 comments:

  1. zOMG! It's my fake lesbian wife! I didn't know you were reccing her stories. Don't EVEN try to steal her away. ;)

    Mine. *growls*

    She is a terrific writer though. And soooooooooo hilarious. She keels me everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I promise to keep my hands off your faux lesbian better half (at least when you're looking), and yeah, she is awesome. I didn't know I was reccing her stories until Friday myself, lol.

    ReplyDelete